Friday 6 July 2007

Airtel Selling customer’s numbers to bank to trouble customers and make extra money - Violation of Right to Privacy

Today I was sleeping in the afternoon enjoying my sleep Sleepy; suddenly I got a call from my Airtel phone. None of my friend generally calls me at 10 AM because they know my sleeping habits.
So I have to pick up the phone, I took the call and responded:

Me: Hello
Caller: Hello, can I speak to Mr Ashwin Malik (my name)
Me: Yes, May I know who is there?
Caller: Sir, I am calling from UTI Bank. Its regards to a personal loan
Me: Okay, But from where do you get my Name and number? I didn’t applied from any personal loan Confused
Caller: Sir, I got it from database
Me: Which database, I didn’t visited UTI branch in my life
Caller: Sir, I got it from Airtel’s database
Me: Go and sell your loan to Airtel only and don’t dare to call me again and bother me you fxxxxr Angry

This is the phone number of the caller if you anyone wants to check it: +91-80-26588141
(Got Address from BSNL directory: JP NGR BR,37/953,24,2,J P NAGAR,560 078,Bangalore)

I am not sure if the numbers are sold at a company level or at which level. I just know that my fault was just that I am a Airtel customer and without my knowledge my information is distributed freely which I surely thing is the Violation of my right to privacy.Vampire Bat

This was conducted by Airtel and UTI without my consent and this amount to the violation of my right to privacy.

There are many instances of this with my friends where they also received calls like that. The honorable Supreme Court of India makes such directions to banks to stop irking customer on phone as this is invasion of my privacy. My mobile number is my personal stuff and it’s my right to distribute it on my own for my own use.

Many times I happen to be out of station and was charged for these calls. Let me tell you I had registered myself in “Do not call” list on the Airtel website, still I am getting these calls.On the phone

This caller today knows my names. What happens is most of the times is the caller will just refer us a Sir or Madam depending on your voice.

  • Banks will employ agents to find customer on their behalf and give commission to these agents
  • Rule is simple, more the customers, more the commission
  • These agents then employ semi-literate girls looking for a job of 2500 INR or 63 USD per month and they call customers and just say a script. If the customer is interested the call is transferred to some person who really got a food for the day
What should be done:

  • These cheap tactics should be stopped by the government and the RBI
  • Banks should not give such calls to bother customers like us
  • Phone companies should abide the law of the land and respect the privacy of their customers

 

Thinking

Lay off Airtel and limit your freedom (Asi Azzadi aur kahan)

Happy Blogging... Winking

No comments: